Re: OFFTOPIC: e2fsprogs and +2Gb partitions

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@cygnus.com)
12 Jun 1998 11:41:02 -0700

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU> writes:

> But leaving llseek() in the library but removing it from the prototype,
> such that programs that use autoconf to determine whether or not llseek
> exists was just irresponsible.

What has this to do with irresponsibility? It certainly was a mistake
to add llseek but when I realized this the damage was done (i.e., the
ABI was used). But since I never added the prototype this keeps the
attention away from this function which never ever should be used.

And a test for the prototype isn't necessary. Simply add a test for
lseek64 and if this function is not available test for llseek with
code like this:

AC_DEFUN(E2_FUNC_USABLE_LLSEEK,
[AC_CACHE_CHECK([for usable llseek], e2_cv_usable_llseek,
[AC_TRY_LINK([#include <stdio.h>],[#if __GLIBC__ == 2 && __GLIBC_MINOR__ == 0
#error "not here"
#else
llseek (0, 0, 0);
#endif],