Re: ifconfig and virtual devices

Derrik (dpates@kalifornia.com)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:59:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Bobby Hitt wrote:

> Everything is peachy. Apache is happy, no problem accessing the virtuals.
> I've been following the development of the 2.1.x kernels, and wanted to see
> how it worked. I installed the 2.1.105 kernel, with "network aliasing" and
> "IP: Aliasing support" checked. When I rebooted and ran the script listed
> above, I got errors about "DEVICE EXISTS". What I found was that if I used
> different IP addresses, it worked fine. Apache was fine, the virtuals were
> accessible. All the documentation about IP aliasing referred to different IP
> addresses. Since none of these virtuals need anything IP specific such as
> virtual FTP, what do I need to do to have ifconfig add devices to the eth0
> device with the same IP?

Ok, explain to me what good that many devices on one interface are going
to do if they're all at the same IP address? Maybe I'm just being dense,
but that seems really useless. Part of the idea of IP Aliasing is to allow
an interface to take multiple address... correct me if I'm wrong here. I'd
bet if you didn't run that script everything would work _exactly_ the
same. Try it, and see what happens. Besides, I think only one interface
would get any traffic anyway because of routing, the virtuals would be
effectively dead weight. Correct me if I'm wrong here, people...

Derrik Pates
dpates@kalifornia.com
dpates@acm.org