Re: Anyone using kernel 2.1.90+ with RH5.1 (fwd)

Derrik (dpates@kalifornia.com)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:58:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Matt Hyne wrote:

> Hi All, need some help,
>
> I have been trying to get kernel 2.1.90 and/or 2.1.104 going under RH5.1.
> The problem is that it wont load any of my modules (ie network devices).
> I think it is something to do with the change from kerneld to kmod.
>
> I tried editing the kerneld script to look for /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe
> before executing kerneld but this didn't work.
>
> I also get the following error message booting the 2.1.90+ kernels - but I
> cannot see what is causing it.
>
> Finding module dependancies... can't open /lib/modules/prefered/modules.def
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or know what changes I need to make to the RH
> scripts to work with the kmod kernels.

Check your modules.conf or conf.modules in /etc. It's probably designating
the root module directory as /lib/modules.preferred - comment out any such
lines, and modprobe will by default look in /lib/modules/`uname -r`. Thewn
run depmod -a, and autoloading with kmod should work. And make sure that
kerneld is NOT being started. I don't know if this'll cause a problem, but
I'd not take chances.

Derrik Pates
dpates@kalifornia.com
dpates@acm.org