Re: ifconfig and virtual devices

David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:16:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Bobby Hitt wrote:
[big snips]
> # list of machine names to act as
> names="www.ribcast.com \
> www.bscnet.com"
[snip]
> inet addr:207.199.130.139 Bcast:207.199.130.191
> inet addr:207.199.130.139 Bcast:207.199.130.255
[many repeats]

> "IP: Aliasing support" checked. When I rebooted and ran the script listed
> above, I got errors about "DEVICE EXISTS". What I found was that if I used
> different IP addresses, it worked fine. Apache was fine, the virtuals were
> accessible. All the documentation about IP aliasing referred to different IP
> addresses. Since none of these virtuals need anything IP specific such as
> virtual FTP, what do I need to do to have ifconfig add devices to the eth0
> device with the same IP?

ahem. you don't. only one disk fits in the floppy drive, only one device
for an IP. (eth0 aliases) that is why the documentation refers to
*different* IPs :)

there is no point in calling the same device the same name many times.

you have no reason to be using aliases if they are all the same IP.
simply do away with this script. you should only use this script if you
have aliases that have *different* IPs.

-d

--
Please read the linux/Documentation/ files and review the last week of mail
on linux-kernel before posting your problem.