Re: Speaking of SysRQ...

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:36:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, David Luyer wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 18:32:21 +0800
> From: David Luyer <luyer@ucs.uwa.edu.au>
> To: "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@ican.net>
> Cc: Riley Williams <rhw@bigfoot.com>,
> Torgeir Veimo <torgeir.veimo@dns.subnett.no>,
> linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: Speaking of SysRQ...
>
> > Hehehe. Not to contradict you, or water your point down, because
> > I agree, but I have on a small number of occasions accidentally
> > pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL. Right after that, I made up many entire
> > new classes of 4 letter words. I was MEANING to hit
> > CTRL-ALT-F12 to switch out of X to TTY12.... needless to say,
> > the next screen I saw was not TTY12, but rather "AMIBIOS..."
>
> Well the function of ctrl-alt-del isn't really a kernel issue,
> since all it does is sends a signal to the init process. Here,
> even though the servers are in a 'secure' location, it calls a
> shell script to prevent accidental reboots, ie,

Oh, I know it can be disabled. My point was just that "seemingly
impossible" keyboard combinations can be accidentally pressed
nonetheless. In my case I was trying to hit F12, but instead
force of habit I hit C-A-D instead. Granted, it doesn't happen
often, in fact maybe twice in 3 years, but I was furious when it
did happen... ;o) I could disable it, sure, but then what to do
when there is no solution but to hit the three finger salute?

> Anyway the point is that c-a-d isn't kernel-introduced insecurity if the
> keyboard is in an insecure location and the computer is in a secure one,
> since its behaviour is controlled by the person who configures the machine.

Oh, I understand that. My whole point is that regardless of a
keystroke rarity, it can be accidentally pressed. Random
accident? Unlikely. Habitual accident, possibly.

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com