Re: [patch] scsi-idle updated to 2.1.105

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:24:47 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Daniel Kobras wrote:
> Sylvain Pion wrote:
> > I finally succeeded in making the old scsi-idle patch work with newer kernels.
> > It allows you to spin down scsi disk drives after a specified idle time, and
> > the kernel wakes them up automatically when needed (sort of hdparm -S, but
> > for scsi).
>
> Btw. is there a chance that some scsi-idle feature some day will make it
> into the main kernel release or is it considered bloat?

I really hope it will go in. It will certainly help to
reduce noise, heat and power consumption from my old,
second-hand, 1989 630M SCSI disk...

It is a very useful feature when the computer is in
your bedroom and you have some old/noisy SCSI disks
in use. Giving kernel developers a better night
sleep can't be considered bloat, now can it?

Rik.