Re: CDROM Oops patch: 1st cdu31a tests

Yann Dirson (ydirson@mygale.org)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:00:31 +0200 (CEST)

Erik Andersen writes:
> Yikes!!! Does it also do this stuff without my patch?

Yes. See below some test results.

> These problems sound like something much worse then
> that...

Sure...

> Now that I have this patch out, I will start looking through
> the cdu31a docs (did I remember to send you a copy Yann?)

Hm, I don't remember that, nor can I find them in my folders

Regards,

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@mygale.org> | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
isp-email:   <ydirson@a2points.com> |     support Debian GNU/Linux:

Tested:

2.1.99: * mount: buggy * eject,play: not tested

2.1.86: AUTOLOADS MODULES ! 2.1.99 and .105 could not... [cdrom cdu31a isofs]

* mount: Hmm... sometimes OK, but: [after somewhat playing with other commands] root@bylbo:~# mount /cdrom/ root@bylbo:~# umount /cdrom/ VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Bye-bye..

[right after reboot, in single-user mode] root@bylbo:~# mount /cdrom/ Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 2.12 cdrom: tray is open... CDU31A: Invalid block status: 0x0 cdu31a: Resetting drive on error CDU31A: unknown 0x03 error for block 68, nblock 2 VFS: busy inodes on changed media.. VFS: brelse: Trying to free free buffer mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sonycd, or too many mounted file systems cdrom: tray is open...

root@bylbo:~# mount /cdrom/ cdrom: tray is open...

root@bylbo:~# umount /cdrom/ VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Bye-bye..

Tray has always been closed (well, I opened and closed it between the 2 mount attempts); the 2nd mount finally succeeded, as the umount says...

* play: ** pure: fails, blocks the drive (cannot eject manually) ** mixed: root@bylbo:~# cdir unknown cd - 18:01 in 3 tracks 11:43.17 1 [DATA] 3:00.00 2 3:15.71 3

root@bylbo:~# cdplay 2 Params: 3 11 45 17 18 1 13 Sony CDROM error illegal parameter (CDROMPLAYTRKIND) cdplay: ioctl cdromplaytrkind

root@bylbo:~# cdplay 3 Params: 3 14 45 17 18 1 13 Sony CDROM error illegal parameter (CDROMPLAYTRKIND) cdplay: ioctl cdromplaytrkind

Params fields are reproducible. * eject: ** pure data or mixed: OK ** pure audio does not eject and prints:

root@bylbo:~# cdeject Sony CDROM unknown 0x01 error (scd_open, spin up) cdeject: can't open cdrom (/dev/cdrom)

root@bylbo:~# cdeject cdu31a: Error reading TOC: 20 unknown 0x01 Sony CDROM unknown 0x01 error (scd_open, spin up) cdeject: can't open cdrom (/dev/cdrom)

Further more, when the command has completed, the tray is locked. I have to rerun cdeject, and press the eject button while the drive is active to make it eject.

Ah, something else: the console messages signaling (un)load for the drivers are not always there...

2.1.90: not unlike 2.1.105 That leaves 2.1.8[789] to test for guiltiness...

Note that patches for .8[789] and .90 do not have any change in drivers/cdrom/, whereas .86 has...