Re: Remote fork() and Parallel Programming

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:57:11 +1200

On Thu, Jun 11, 1998 at 09:15:32AM +0800, Michael O'Reilly wrote:

> Nonsense. You can implement process migration by using
> checkpoint/restart, but there's no way you can use process migration
> to implement checkpoint/restarting.

You have to do some pretty cunning stuff for any open FDs, and sysv ipc
objects, etc. when you checkpoint. (Assuming the application isn't
explicitly written to received a signal and do this for you.... if the
application is aware of this, I think you can pretty much do it all in user
space).

-Chris