Re: [Off topic] Re: New Linux distribution - PSL

Martin Konold (konold@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:53:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Please stop spreading these lies. You are working for a competitor and
>
> No Im not working for a competitor Im working for Building Number Three,
> and thus basically contracting a CD ROM distributor.
>
> And its strange how my 'lies', Richard Stallman's 'lies', and several
> lawyers 'lies' all agree on the current status of KDE.
>
> Maybe its not co-incidence.

There are numerous people inkl. me and _several_ intellectual property
lawers (two patent attorneys in this case) who strongly disagree with RMS
et al. in this special case after I did present them the license terms and
some mails from RMS.

On the other hand I do know that RMS would hate if the developers would
switch to a BSD style license. I therefor would like to suggest that you
stop spreading the word that bundling KDE with a linux distribution is
illegal and I will try to convince the KDE people to keep the (L)GPL for
all code they are contributing to a great piece of unix sw. (You might
need it as soon as FreeQt is finished)

Yours,
-- martin
P.S.: I do get the strong impression that the US market leader in Linux
distributions is in deep trouble if they do not manage to get a decent
desktop soon!

// Martin Konold, Herrenbergerstr. 14, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany //
// Email: konold@kde.org //
RMSisch ist schlimmer als GNUisch (die fanatisch/religioese
Steigerung von GNUisch, daher ist GNUisch "nur" RMSisch-- ;-)
-- Harald Koenig --