Re: Kernel debugger anyone?

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:34:28 +1000

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:08:19 +1000 (EST),
David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au> wrote:
>I'm just wondering about the inclusion of a real kernel debugger.. I was
>playing around with NetBSD on my Dec VAXStation 3100, and the kernel
>crashed, and up popped a nice debugging prompt. Is there some reason that
>Linux doesn't do this?

ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/patch-ikd-2.1.105.gz. The real problem with
the current approach is that it relies totally on the kernel to debug
the kernel. So if the kernel is totally dead, you cannot debug it.
Makes me wish for the multi-ring hardware model, run kernel at ring 1,
debugger at ring 0. No chance on x86.