Re: Any SMP people out there with SCSI CD ROMs?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:44:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, David Godfrey wrote:

> I've seen this happen after playing an audio cd with workman, then
> ejecting and inserting a new disk. H/w Asus dual PPro P65UP5 with an
> ncr53c810a scsi card (ncr53c8xx driver) and a Tosh XM-3701TA CD-ROM.
> Vanilla 2.1.105 SMP. Although the CD-ROM is on the ncr, there is also
> a 2940UW with two Quantum Atlas wide disks in this machine.

Great!

Once you can reproduce this, one thing you can actually try is to compile
the kernel as UP, but change <asm/spinlocks.h> to have

#define DEBUG_SPINLOCKS 2

which will maintain spinlock debugging information (you'll get warnings
about the scheduler lock, those are because at fork-time we force the
scheduler lock by hand in assembly language and thus bypass the debugging
code).

Linus