Re: New Linux distribution - PSL

Vadim E. Kogan (vadim@vadim.gem.net)
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:13:51 -0700

Alan Cox wrote:

> > according to the machine's function. For example, a 'server'
> > distribution
> > would get samba and squid (okay, I'm biased ;p ), and a 'workstation'
> > distribution may get some nice KDE stuff.
>
> Whoops you've just installed a couple of security holes unless you
> have the right patches applied and exactly the right versions. And
> nobody has even tried to audit KDE yet. You've also created a license
> violating distribution so far ...
well, yes. I actually don't even plan on putting X by default, as it's a
different issue - need to check what you can do and what you can't,
without harming security. But yes, eventually it might be a good idea to
install KDE to people who wants it. And "install" doesn't mean it's in
the dist - it's 100% out. Dist is *small*. But the idea is that it can
d/l and install stuff from primary FTP sites/mirrors. That's the way to
go for SSH I guess. You can't put it in the dist, but you can install it
as soon as you got connected to INet. Security in first couple of hours
isn't what Im conserned about.

> Alan
>
> -

Vadim