Re: New Linux distribution - PSL

The Thought Assassin (assassin@south.networx.net.au)
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 18:01:40 +0800 (WST)

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Vadim E. Kogan wrote:
> David Luyer wrote:
> > Then become involved in the Debian project - Debian Linux tends to
> > install a lot less stuff SUID believing instead in a sane group structure.
> > A lot of problems mentioned on BUGTRAQ are just non-issues in Debian since
> > it will, for example, suggest you put people in group audio instead of
> > making audio apps SUID root (similarly, other groups like floppy, cdrom,
> > etc).
> It's not only about SUID. For each package I need to compile it
> differently for each comp.
Do you understand what a distribution is?
Anyway, Debian (and others) provides source packages so you can compile
your own very easily, with sensible defaults set up right for the dist.

> And I want to use the latest version from
> original FTP site.
Do you understand what a distribution is?

> That's not what Debian is about.
No, Debian is a Linux distribution.

> Im trying to make
> admin-helping dist, not a general purpose dist.
How does it help an admin to give him a mirror of the original ftp site?
He's going to go there anyway....

> Many things I want are
> inapropriate for Debian - like no telnetd/tftpd/etc at all
I have never installed tftp on a debian box. it is a long way from the
default, AFAIK. I have two Debian boxes which do not have telnetd on them.
It has never presented a problem.

> , passwds min 7 chars generated randomly and enforced, etc. I understand
> that it can be done on Debian. And that's why I want to start from the end -
> so that I'll eventually have set of scripts and programs that will let
> me make and maintain good system after initial Debian or RH install.

Debian _is_ a good set of scripts and programs that will let you make and
maintain a good system after a Debian install.
Redhat is less security-conscious, but nevertheless capable of doing what
you describe with a fair bit more intervention from the administrator.

I don't want to sound like I am just completely trashing your idea (too
late, maybe) - I agree there is a need for a focussed effort on
prophylactic security techniques from all of the distributions, and a
minimilist list of "secure" packages for a given distro would be a nice
idea, but I don't understand what you are trying to contribute to this.
I see no benefit in going outside the normal distributions, Debian in
particular is a superb basis for such a system as you describe (ask the
linux-router people :), but I don't quite follow what enhancements you
feel you are gong to make to the way a normal distribution (such as
Debian) works.

7~he 7~hought /|ssassin