Re: >256 ptys (previous subject line was garbage)

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
9 Jun 1998 19:00:05 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.199806091727.NAA06315@rsts-11.mit.edu>,
<tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

> Well, I've seen one comment already questioning whether major/minor
> device locks are the better way of doing it, instead of flock(2).
>
>flock(2) simply doesn't work because you may need to keep a tty locked
>beyond the lifetime of the process which originally locked the tty.

Which applications do this? Is this how pppd does file locking?

____
david parsons \bi/ seems like that's a fairly feature-ridden approach.
\/