Re: Who maintains swap code?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 15:19:22 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Michael L. Galbraith wrote:

> I think you are on the wrong track here as I have 2 identical 128mb
> partitions at the same priority (need interleaved swap) and have had
> these in place for quite a long time (2.0.1x).

Indeed, the problem isn't with swap priorities, but
with memory fragmentation. The problem is that when
there are too many too spread-out page tables, kswapd
_can't_ 'defragment' memory and will continue to thrash
the machine forever.

> This I believe is a known problem which is being addressed by the
> vm magicians. It will get better when someone figures out how to
> solve the fragmentation issues.. and no sooner I think.

The only workaround is a zone allocator, which I'll be working
in on RSN. Unfortunately a new allocator probably won't be
allowed into the kernel by Linus, so we'll also need some way
to work around the problem for 2.2 :-(

The constraints & design for the zone allocator are ready
and were even discussed with Jon 'maddog' Hall on the
Linux-Kongress :)
As for the workaround, I don't have a clue as to where to
start :( ...anyone?...

Rik.