Re: panic("Cyrix user");

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 22:36:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Phil's Kernel Account wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Adam Sulmicki wrote:
> #I was wondering whether such draconian steep is necessary/justified in
> #{Linux 2.1.105}:net/core/profile.c
> #__initfunc(int net_profile_init(void)){
> #[...]
> # printk("Evaluating net profiler cost ...");
> #[...]
> # if (!(boot_cpu_data.x86_capability & 16)) {
> # panic("Sorry, you CPU does not support tsc. I am dying...\n");
> # return -1;

Nope. It's definitely not justified: the above code is just evil and
stupid.

I didn't even notice that part creeping in - it's not new to 2.1.105, it's
been there for some time, and I never noticed. Whoever added that code is
just being stupid, and I'm sorry I didn't notice (I assume that the patch
came through David Miller - I don't tend to look through the net-specific
patches when they come from people I tend to trust).

Feel free to send me a patch to fix that particular piece of braindamage.
One option is probably to just get rid of the whole thing - I don't think
we need the net profiling code enough to warrant this kind of stupid
behaviour (I don' tknow who is supposed to maintain the code - nobody has
seen fit to honour the file with a comment with a name).

So what say you - just remove the "CONFIG_NET_PROFILE" option and the code
associated with it?

Linus