Re: PIIX3 chipset...

mlord (mlord@pobox.com)
Sun, 07 Jun 1998 17:23:36 -0400

Derrik wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Javier Kohen wrote:
>
> > PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> > PIIX3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later << This one
> > ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
>
> I don't know either - I also have an Intel board (Zappa 430FX-based board)
> and I get the same 'not 100% native mode' message. Can someone explain
> this? I also would be very interested to know what the matter is.

The PCI IDE standard specifies two operational modes for chipsets:

"native" -- uses PCI interrupts and relocatable I/O space
"legacy" -- uses ISA interrupts and ISA I/O at 0x1f0, 0x170

In 100% native mode, Linux can grab the interrupt number from
the PCI interrupt number register. In "legacy" mode, the interrupts
are usually 14/15, but some chipsets/cards use a cable+ISA-header
to connect the interrupts to other lines. Thus, when not in 100%
native mode, Linux will probe for the interrupts (irqs) later on.

--
mlord@pobox.com
The Linux IDE guy