Re: How/where do we submit patches now?

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 15:06:24 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Larry McVoy wrote:
> One thing I haven't worked out is this: suppose someone makes a new
> feature, called "Feature", and the basis is Linux-2.1.89. The world
> moves forward and by the time the change is ready for integration, the
> tree is at 2.1.97. The change is essentially a branch off of 2.1.89
> with a merge delta that sucks the change into 2.1.97. So far, so good.
> But Linus isn't ready (or the change isn't ready), so Feature is
> rejected for the timing being. The tree moves forward to 2.1.101
> and the change is resubmitted, same deal. At this point, the delta[s]
> that merged the change into 2.1.97 are uninteresting and should probably
> be disgarded. This can help several if Linus takes a while to get
> to merging. Ideas?

Exactly this is what happened with the m68k port: it branched off in 1993-1994
and needed a lot of changes to the (then only) i386 version. When Linus' Linux
got multiarchitecture with 2.0.x, we were in sync with 2.0.x (we started being
in sync in half 1.3.x, thanks to a massive effort from Jes), but the patch set
to go to the m68k source was still very large, and many parts were
`controversial' (considered by some others). And we're still working on getting
integrated with 2.1.104...

There's _a lot of_ work to keep our tree in sync with Linus' tree...

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be