Re: caching

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 14:40:36 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Herve MORILLON wrote:

> I run linux 2.0.32 and I would like to disable the caching in the VFS:
> I read large video file from a disk array (raid 0).
> and I want also to implement my own caching.
>
> I know that usually Linux caching improves speed but I would like
> to try with/without it.
>
> Right now, I can't get more than 30-40 MB/s with 7 fiber disks :(

You might want to try switching to a newer Linux version,
say 2.1.101. The reason why your old version isn't very
fast, is because Linux 2.0 isn't very smart about readahead.

The problem with Linux caching is not very serious, it's
readahead that's limiting your performance...

Rik.