Re: >256 ptys (previous subject line was garbage)

Peter Svensson (petersv@df.lth.se)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 12:59:59 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998 tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> Devfs does allows major/minor-less devices. You could hack the tty
> driver to make use of this. Check out the devfs FAQ at:
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/devfs.txt
>
> This is actually a bad thing, since there's been a lot of talk about
> using major/minor numbers as part of a tty locking scheme.

I see at least two possible solutions - dynamic major/minors or using
another design for the locking system. I am not familiar with the reasons
for using major/minor-pair for locking so I don't know if another solution
is feasable. Do you have any pointers for additional reading? :-)

Peter