Re: Documentation/NotInKernel Was Re: oh woe

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 23:23:09 +0100 (BST)

> Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote with confidence:
> > Also someone took BPF and did it right - no funny BPF device files, and the
> > ability of any user to push filters onto their connections - eg a user run
> > irc server can filter its own connections now.
>
> Interesting - where is this code? I would like to see
> how they implemented low-latency high-throughput packet filtering,
> and the ability to have user-land `stack' modules on....

Its nothing clever. Each socket can run a BPF filter and a user process
can get/set the filter. Its most useful for SOCK_PACKET (ie tcpdump etc)
but can be handy for other stuff

See the 2.1.x kernel