Re: Problem with TCPt

Nils Rennebarth (nils@ipe.uni-stuttgart.de)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 20:57:16 +0200

--FHKYYAux7UKdsnsl

On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 09:17:47AM -0700, Barry Treahy wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> > > I have very little hair left, so if ANY one can offer a suggestion,
> > > please do so...
> >
> > Most likely hardware - maybe drivers. What hardware
> Compaq 486, 24MB RAM, 240MB IDE, 2 1GB HD and 2 CDROMS SCSI's connected
> to a Adaptec 1522, and a 3C509... Nothing fancy, has ran great and I
> have the exact same config running on two of three other Linux boxes...
> The ONLY difference is that this PC was originally build with SW 3.3 and
> everything was built with 3.4...
An observation here, supporting Barry:

We have a Tektronix Phaser 560 in our network (it hangs directly on the
ethernet) and it is accessible via http.

Access is fine from Windows Boxes and AIX of every kind, but no linux boxes
get http access (and we do have a variety of different NIC hardware here:
NE2000 compatibles, 3c509, 3c900, WDs) It doesn't matter which client
program you use: Netscape, Lynx, telnet. Well, telnet works sometimes...

The effect with netscape looks like this:

"A network error occurred while Netscape was sending data.
(Network Error: XP_GetBuiltinString: 7014 not found)

Try connecting again"

With lynx, the starting page is accessed correctly, but trying anything
below this gives:
Alert!: Unexpected network write error; connection aborted.

I can't get any error with telnet worked now.
The problems are with HTTP only. lpr works ok. I first accounted a sloppy
HTTP or TCP/IP implementation on this, but I'm not that sure anymore.
Any suggestions to investigate this further?

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *

--FHKYYAux7UKdsnsl Content-Type: application/pgp-signature

--FHKYYAux7UKdsnsl--