Re: 2GB RAM

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 20:49:46 +1200

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 10:50:21PM +0200, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On x86, we can divide the address space between virtual and
> physical memory. If you choose to support 2GB of physical
> memory, you've got 2GB of virtual memory space per process
> left. Of course, you can have multiple 2GB processes
> running :)

This reminds me... I have an application that wants to use more than 2GB of
VM space is a fairly sparse manner, such that perhaps only 10MB of the
address space is really mapped in...

Specifically I want to be able to run code in the first few hundred MB of VM
space but will also need to store data at and above 0x80000000.

Now... is there any reason why this shouldn't work? (Test code so far seems
to....)

-Chris