Linux Kernel Compile

Wei Wu (weiw@valicert.com)
Sun, 31 May 1998 17:55:15 -0700

--------------3C1D813051222E091B037FD8

Hi,

I just installed latest RedHat Linux on my new PC. The installation
process was
pretty straight forward.

Now I need to add a SCSI device (tape drive) and am trying to re-compile
the
kernel. And I run into lots of problems and RedHat said it's not a
installation
problem so they won't support it. So I turn to this group for help.

First, I have trouble of loading kernel source code into my /usr/src
directory.
I mounted 2nd CDROM from Redhat which supposed to hold all source codes.

I used rpm to install kernel-src.rpm. After I ran it, I don't see any
source code
under /usr/src/linux.

Secondly, since I couldn't load kernel src code from CDROM (or the one I

downloaded from Internet), I tar-ed and copied kernel src code from
another
Linux system (same hardware architecture, but newer version of kernel).
I then ran make config and answered questions as much as I can. Then I
ran
make boot and got the following error message:

tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinux.out CURRENT > zImage
Root device is (3, 1)
Boot sector 512 bytes.
Setup is 4336 bytes.
System is 602 kB
System is too big
make[1]: *** [zImage] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.32/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [boot] Error 2

I don't what's wrong and stuck here.

If somebody from the Net can shed some light, I really appreciate.

Thanks

-Wei