Re: Confirmation; Severe ext2fs Corruption in 2.1.98

Daniel Egger (Daniel.Egger@t-online.de)
Sun, 31 May 1998 00:50:12 +0200

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Phil's Kernel Account wrote:

>It was being moved from /home/irc (hdb2) to /mp3/dance (sda1). As you can
>see, this file would most likely be buffered in it's entirety. Now
>/home/irc is totally destroyed. Only the directories themselves remain
>undamaged. Every file in every subdirectory is trashed. Yet sda1 has
>absolutely NO damage. I pored over every subdirectory on the drive in
>search of a damaged file or directory. NOTHING. So it's happening
>somewhere along the line where the file is removed from hdb2. The reboot
>happens, presumably due to something inside the file, and *WHAM*. The
>original remains, and all files and subdirectories of the directory that
>the file was in are destroyed. Leaving the buffer handling as the primary
>suspect. If anybody can reproduce this, I'd love to know about it, because
>I tried three times today, with no success.

There seems to be a link: Everytime I got this corruption I deleted
something off my harddrive before. And because I thought something
like this I always did an e2fsck afterwards with no "success". The real
errors appeared later i.e. after a reboot...

--

Servus, Daniel