Re: oh woe, oh woe, oh woe is me... [2.0.34p16 + 3com]

Serguei Koubouchine (ksi@gu.net)
Sat, 30 May 1998 11:11:28 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich wrote:

> I'm sorry for the appearance of my patch in a public place.
>
> Donald, I personally apologize to you.
>
> My patch that Serguei Koubouchine has placed on his FTP site is only a
> 30 second hack. It doesn't solve the problem.
> Nobody considers it seriously.

May be. But we do need any hack to have our networking up and running.

> Sergei, I insist on immediate removing the patch from your FTP site.
> I haven't given you permissions to distribute it.
> Please be patient and wait until the problem will be really solved.

OK. No problem, I did remove the kernel SRPM from the ftp.

And I do think that a little explanation's in order here. It seems that
nobody cares to fix the eepro100 driver for new kernels :(( All e-mails to
Donald Becker either do yield the same answer - the driver's great, gated's
bad, don't use gated - or got unanswered at all... May be I'm wrong, but the
suggestion of "don't use gated" does effectively mean "don't use linux"...
Yeah, it's great to have a great and shiny driver, but it's far more
important to have a working site for at least some of us here... My demarche
here in the list with the driver patch did have the only intention - I did
want to get an answer whether somebody do intend to fix a buggy driver or
not. It looks like I've failed :((

Donald, please tell us frankly, do you intend to fix eepro100 driver at
all ? Or may be we have to do it ourselves ? Or go for the e.g. FreeBSD
where it does work ? Excuse me for pushing you, but I do really wanna know
whether it's worth an effort to continue with the development or not....

Please, do reply.