Re: knfsd messages (was: Re: 2.1.103: knfsd dentry problem: x/y not found -- need full search)

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Fri, 29 May 1998 11:49:11 -0400

Richard Jones wrote:

> On a related subject, is the following kernel message important:
>
> nfsd_create: dentry tmp/test not negative!
>
> In this instance, the exported partition (from a Linux 2.1.103 knfsd
> server) is /tmp/test, and the partition is mounted on a Solaris
> 2.5.1 client.
>
> This seems to happen when creating a file in a subdirectory (eg.
> `touch dir/abc', where `dir' exists). The command running on the
> client reports `Is not a directory'.
>
> Strangely, the bug magically clears itself up after a while ...

Hi Rich,

I'm pretty sure I know the cause of that problem -- the current knfsd
isn't obeying all of the vfs locking protocols. Under some circumstances
it may check for existence, find the file doesn't exist, and then go to
create the file and find that it's already been created (that's the
"dentry not negative!" part.)

Guess I need to find some round tuits and get this fixed ...

Regards,
Bill