Re: __get_free_pages()

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Thu, 28 May 1998 15:10:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Stephen Williams wrote:
> R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl said:
> > Talking about which, I'd say this GFP_DMA flag should be split into
> > GFP_DMA_1M
> > GFP_DMA_16M
> > GFP_DMA_4G
>
> Personally, I think the DMA flag should be lost and a number added to
> get-free-page that says how big the address can be. GFP_DMA_1M would
> be replaced with this parameter value being 10, 4G 32, etc.

This is the way it was until recently. This was changed because it
requires the driver-programmer to know the limit for DMA -- which varies
from arch to arch, possibly even from motherboard to motherboard within an
arch. Possibly a combo of the two would be a Good Thing, though I don't
really see why you would want to specify that the region returned needed
to be <nMB except for the DMA limit.

-=- James Mastros

--
True mastery is knowing enough to bullshit the rest.
	-=- Me