Re: Error detecting netcards in 2.0.34pre16

David Woodhouse (Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 28 May 1998 15:46:47 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Paul Gortmaker wrote:

> In regards to ordering your cards the way you want, you have
> several options.
>
> 1) use modular drivers & "alias ethN drivername"

Doesn't necessarily work.

alias eth0 tulip
alias eth1 ne

ifconfig eth1 10.0.0.1
ifconfig eth0 131.111.217.153

The drivers are loaded in the wrong order.

Similar problems are widespread throughout the kernel. Sound cards will
appear in the order they are initialised. Even if you've only got one
sound card, if it's an AWE32, then you might get the AWE mixer as mixer0
instead of the SB mixer if you access the sequencer first.

I think the answer here is for request_module() to pass an argument to the
module telling it why it was loaded. So a network card module which is
loaded in response to 'request_module("eth1")' will know about it, and
won't take the name "eth0".

That won't fix the sound stuff completely, but I've got designs on that
too. :)

David Woodhouse, Robinson College, CB3 9AN, England. (+44) 0976 658355
Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk http://www.imladris.demon.co.uk
finger pgp@dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk for PGP key.