Re: Why all glibc2 programs are FPU programs

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@cygnus.com)
27 May 1998 18:56:11 -0700

"Adam J. Richter" <adam@yggdrasil.com> writes:

> The personality system call would only set the *initial*
> value of the FPU control word before any floating point instructions
> had been executed. Programs could then change it in the usual way.

This is what not happens today. And not only not on Linux. Using
this -lieee library to select FPU mode was introcuced in Linux a long
time ago and is widely used. Any change here would cause unnecessary
upset.

> The issue of your proposal being ELF specific is more a matter
> of leaving the door open for future binary formats than it is about
> existing a.out format executables.

Any to-be-designed object format (whatever this should be) can
certainly contain a similar mechanisms so this is no restriction.

> I started writing some code to emulate the version of the FPU
> set control word instruction that glibc uses.

I agree that this is a pain and this is why I don't suggest this. It
would be the easiest solution for the libc side and it would also help
old binaries, but it certainly drains a lot of maintainance time.

-- Uli
---------------. drepper at gnu.org ,-. 1325 Chesapeake Terrace
Ulrich Drepper \ ,-------------------' \ Sunnyvale, CA 94089 USA
Cygnus Solutions `--' drepper at cygnus.com `------------------------