Re: TX Pro M/B sound system

David Mansell (dhm23@cam.ac.uk)
Thu, 28 May 1998 02:29:00 +0000

On 27 May 98, Greg Lee wrote:

> That's what I have, sounds like, on a "TopGun" motherboard. I use
> /dev/dsp0 lots, and my machine has never locked up for 2.0.30 or
> for 2.1.91-2.1.103, using the 8330 as a sb16. Fm sound used to work
> before 2.1.98 (or thereabouts), but doesn't on more recent kernels.

My motherboard was (semi-)branded 'MainBoard' but is basically a
cheap no-name. All the ID numbers and strings relating to the sound
chip appear to be identical.

My config appears to agree with yours, and I double checked with 103
and using this config the machine locks up solid as soon as I
actually try and play any sound. Doing 'modprobe sb' results in the
following from the kernel:

Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
SB 4.13 detected OK (220)
YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft
1993-1996

/proc/sound agrees with yours, except 'Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)' is
listed under 'Midi devices:' too (which is irrelevant to /dev/dsp).

Out of interest, which CPU are you using? I have a Cyrix 6x86MX, I
have a friend who has an identical board and an old Cyrix 6x86 who
also has trouble.

-D

--
David Mansell, studying hard as usual...   dhm23@cam.ac.uk