Re: [Q]Patch against memory exploit?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Wed, 27 May 1998 23:09:51 +0200 (MET DST)

On 26 May 1998, Johnny Tevessen wrote:

> Being curious, I just wrote and ran a little program that eats up
> all memory it can get (as much 1meg blocks as possible, then
>
> So I have two questions to the community:
>
> 1) Is 2.1.x resistent against such an attack and/or is there
> a patch for 2.0.x to reserve some MB for the root user?

Not yet, but most of the work is on my homepage...
The file oom_kill.c contains the selection code and
the killing code. Some work still needs to be done
however, we still need a test on when to call the
killing code...
Of course, you're welcome to take the file and make
it into a real kernel patch (and make up the rest of
the code). I'm somewhat busy at the moment (rebuilding
a completely thrashed system), so I won't get around to
it in the next few weeks...

Rik.