Re: Problem with isapnp and 3Com (Re: 16-bit SoundBlaster DMA)

scratch (scratch@ace.ulyssis.student.kuleuven.ac.be)
Tue, 26 May 1998 18:55:52 +0200 (CEST)

On 26 May 1998 ketil@ii.uib.no wrote:

> I've recently toyed with isapnp in an attempt to get Linux to work with
> a SB 64AWE Gold and a 3c Elink III TP at the same time.
>
> Apparently, the network card is the culprit, since I get the message
> "eth0: infinite loop in interrupt", followed by network inavailability,
> and subsequent NFS failure - any time I touch the PNP stuff (running
> isapnp, pnpdump, or sndconfig)
>
> Stuff seems to work under Windows, there's no IRQ/DMA/IO confilicts as
> far as I can tell.

You could say that i've experienced similar problems, I've got a PnP
CS4232 sound chip onboard, and an NE2000 eth.card (ISA). Whenever i load
the sound modules and play music for a while, network goes down and I get
loads of errors among which:

"eth0: timeout waiting for Tx RDC."
"mismatched read page pointers xx vs xx"
various net_interrupt() error messages

I also use isapnp to init the PnP sound , and have had no problems with
the both of them in Win95.

I suspect there's a problem with irq handling of the ne2000 driver, but
i'm not sure, and i'm not a kernel hacker either. FWIW, does your sound
still work after the network has gone down? Mine does, but I have to do a
*cold* reboot to get the ethernetcard working again.

-- Nico Galoppo