Re: Linux-2.0.34 & crashme

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Tue, 26 May 1998 12:05:02 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Andreas Haumer wrote:

> > Running crashme as root is dangerous. You can kill the machine as root
> > yourself, and crashme can do it too if it manages to make the right system
> > calls.
> >
> I'm perfectly aware of that! This test was more or less a
> cross-check. I'm more concerned that crashme running under
> an unprivileged UID could lock the machine!
> But as I don't have any more data points (no oops, no syslog
> entry) right now I can't say what went wrong exactly.

The problem is probably that you haven't configured resource limits on
your box. Try doing just this (RLIMIT_DATA is a good one, RLIMIT_RSS is
annoyingly the only RSS_* not yet implemented). Alternatively run crashme
so that it uses less memory and/or less concurrency. A command line option
I believe.

Cheers
Chris