Re: modutils maintainer: alias binfmt-0000 binfmt_aout

Richard Henderson (rth@dot.cygnus.com)
Mon, 25 May 1998 21:46:22 -0700

On Mon, May 25, 1998 at 10:42:15AM +0100, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> Following Adam Richter's suggestion I found out what arguments are passed
> to modprobe and discovered that it's a binfmt-0000 that needs to be
> aliased in /etc/modules.conf -- it all works fine now in 2.1.104pre1.

No, the binfmt module auto-loading is completely broken. As you've
just discovered, the binfmt-xxxx string manages to pull out bits of
the file that are not magic numbers.

Quite some time ago I posted something here describing the problem and
outlining a possible solution, asking for comments. No one responded,
telling me that very few people care. It is now probably dead last on
the queue of things to do.

At this point, if you feel like doing some coding, I would suggest reusing
the binfmt_misc binary recognition code to load the module properly by
name.

r~