Re: Upgrading to a test kernel

Thomas Molina (tmolina@probe.net)
Mon, 25 May 1998 22:09:14 -0500 (CDT)

It's a bit surprising to me that no one in this discussion has expressed
any reservations about setting up a process to automatically update
programs on a running, stable system. I thought we were all paranoid
about running untrusted binaries.

If you're not extremely short on disk space, what's wrong with setting
up a mirror program to download new programs. It's a bit more work to
check what's been downloaded, verify pgp signatures, etc before
upgrading programs, but it's probably a lot safer. There's even a
mirror rpm to do it for you. On my system the updates directory takes
up about 100MB of disk space. Hard drive space is relatively cheap,
especially considering we're talking about system upkeep here.