Re: modutils maintainer: alias binfmt-0000 binfmt_aout

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Mon, 25 May 1998 17:35:22 -0400

"Krzysztof G. Baranowski" <kgb@manjak.knm.org.pl> said:
> On Mon, 25 May 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:
> >As long as 2.0.xx kernels are in widespread use, i.e., until 2.2.x is
> >deemed stable enough for all major distributions (RedHat, SuSE, Debian,
> >....) it will still be needed. Perhaps autodetecting if the kernel has kmod
> >support and just going away in that case?

> Nope. The kerneld is still needed and it should be always compiled
> during modutils build, even if you build the packages with 2.1.x
> kernel sources. Please think what would happen if you used 2.0.x
> and 2.1.x and you compiled the modutils with 2.1.x sources.
> You boot to 2.0.x and the modules won't be loaded, you haven't got
> kernel to do that. The backwards compactibility is IMHO important.

That's exactly what I mean: Build a kerneld that runs normally under
2.0.xx, but if it detects a kernel >= 2.1.90 it just quits. That way it
will work even with old init configurations.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl