Re: gpm -k (was: 2.0.34pre16 bug?)

Riley Williams (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Mon, 25 May 1998 12:39:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Meelis Roos wrote:

> CB> Everytime I use ctl-alt-del to reboot by linux box, It will free when
> CB> shutting down gpm mouse module. It's a generic serial mouse, and it's
> CB> worked before.
>
> Maybe related: when doing shutdown -r now _from_ X, shutdown stalls.
> At a closer look it appears that gpm -k is stalling.
> When I switch to text console, it proceeds.
>
> gpm -k is stalling in connect() to gpmctl socket (unix domain socket).
> ps lwwa shows that it's in function end (what's that?).
>
> Kernel 2.1.103, PS/2 mouse compiled as module and autoloaded on boot.
> Never unloaded since I don't have rmmod -a in crontab yet.
> RH 5, gpm-1.12-4, XFree86-3.3.1-14.
>
> AFAIR it worked in 2.0.32, but not 100% sure.
> A kernel problem or (probably) a gpm problem?

I had this occur on a mostly stock RH5 system I setup for someone.

AT&T Globalist P133 (w/ no cache EEEK!, and a soundcard+modem like a mwave)
(NOT a good Linux box).
Used ps/2 mouse
Stock rh5 kernel all errata patches appiled.
KDE installed with kdm. Init set to goto runlevel 5.
On shutdown the computer would stop. I'd have to telnet in and kill gpm or
exit X before shutting down.

My guess was that gpm was trying to touch the mouse X was using. I just
removed GPM from the init scripts because this computer will be spending
it's life in X..