Re: 2.1.103 MSS?

Soruk of Vulcan (soruk@Eridani.Demon.CO.UK)
Sun, 24 May 1998 17:22:06 +0100 (BST)

> On 21 May 1998, John Goerzen wrote:
>
> > I have tried the SB emul -- it works, but is only 8-bit and chokes on
> > 16-bit stuff, of course.
>
> I'm having similar problems w/ an AZT3000 after my upgrading from 2.0.32
> to 2.0.33. I trying compiling pnp into the kernel, which didn't help at
> all. I pnpdumped it and uncommented my config and isapnp doesn't choke
> when it loads, but I get no sound.

I had similar problems with an Opti931 PnP soundcard. To such an extent
I've now got a genuine SB16. Which works great.

Any soundcard which claims SB emulation is emulating SBPro, which is only
knows about 8-bit sound. Getting 16-bit sound out of such a card in SB
Emulation is like trying to put a live cow in a mincing machine and
getting a green leaf salad out the other end. It won't work.

I tried using MSS... but it was never able to pick up the IRQ. Knowing my
luck the IRQ fell out the back of the MIDI port on to the carpet on which
my computer is sitting. Needless to say, though, that didn't work either.

-- Soruk
#include <sigfile.h> [MM1CNV] http://www.eridani.demon.co.uk