Re: Rampage Plus 286 EMS boards programming info.

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 23 May 1998 05:49:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> > > You will have to access it thru 16K pages, only 4 of
> > > which will be present in the EMS page frame at any one time. If you
> > > determine that it is an EMS board then first thing you should do is contact
> > > AST to see if they have any techical information of the card.
>
> Hey, you could also simply put userpages in there. A swapout means
> you simply reprogram the IO register. A swapin means another outb to
> one of the four "page" registers.....

Hmmm... Yeah, that is what I want it to do, but I don't know the
mechanics of making it happen. What I/O ports do I use, what
exactly are they for, what are the bitmaps, control regs, etc...

Once I have that info, I can perhaps write a userland test
program which runs as root with I/O permissions to the needed
ports, to test it all out...

> If you happen to have 5 areas you need in quick succession on the EMS
> card, you'll be able to witness your machine doing close to a few
> hundred thousand swaps per second. That beats the hell out of any
> decent server out there... :-)

Heheh. Well, if I get it working, it'll give me another few megs
of swap, which will certainly speed up the machine it is going
in. Right now it thrashes madly.

Granted, memory is cheap, etc... but I'm looking at it as an
experience in programming a driver as well... a challenge if you
will... ;o)

Thanks,

Take care.
TTYL