Re: linux-2.1.102/drivers/scsi/fdomain.c as module hangs system

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Wed, 20 May 1998 00:26:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
> >
> > That should be udelay, not usleep of course,
>
> Duh. Yes.
>
> > but it gives me an excuse
> > to bring up another point. A comment near the udelay code hints that
> > you shouldn't use it for > 1000us. Yet this seems largely ignored in
> > various driver source files (with delays up to 1000000us being used)
>
> With too large values, the udelay counter will simply overflow. I suspect
> anything under a second is reasonably safe, but precision is probably
> horrible.

Just a question, but in what type of a scenario is a large delay needed?

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack
irc admin centurion.starchat.net

gmack@imag.net innerfire@starchat.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.