Re: specify kernel boot params without boot loader ?

Christer Weinigel (wingel@hog.t1.ctrl-c.liu.se)
19 May 1998 09:04:08 -0000

Jan Vicherek wrote:

> Hello,
>
>Is there a way to set boot params
>(maybe even during compile time ?), so that I can just cat zImage >/dev/fd0
>and don't have to mess with lilo or somesuch ?

If you want to hardcode a command line, the easiest way to do this is
to modify a few lines in arch/i386/kernel/setup.c:

#if 0
#define COMMAND_LINE ((char *) (PARAM+2048))
#define COMMAND_LINE_SIZE 256
#else
#define COMMAND_LINE_SIZE 256
char COMMAND_LINE[COMMAND_LINE_SIZE] = "console=ttyS0,38400";
#endif

I used this to make a minimal boot floppy with a serial console a
litttle while ago.

/Christer

--
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?