Re: Network cards

Gabriel Paubert (paubert@iram.es)
Mon, 18 May 1998 03:50:36 +0200 (METDST)

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > They were given to me without any documentation/drivers, etc, so all I
> > can go on is the chip markings...
> >
> > Its branded by RM, and various chips with the markings:
>
> RM is Research Machines.
>
> > VALOR PM6045
> > VALOR LT6003
> > KJ B1952 DP8392CN
> ^^^^^^^^
>
> This is the important chip. The 8392 and 8390 are basically the same if I
> remember rightly. So its probably an NE2000 clone. Try the NE2000 driver on it
> If not then I've asked RM previously about stuff and I dont think documentation
> would be a problem. As a general rule if you are presented a card with an
> I/O an IRQ and no shared memory try the NE2000 driver on it when you are
> in doubt. It normally works.

Wrong AFAICT, according to my NS doc, the DP8392 is a coaxial transceiver
interface (it is a 16 pin DIP). There is another chip by NS, the DP83932
which is more or less the equivalent of the original 8390 plus the
encoder/decoder (8391). The VALOR components are probably isolation
transformers. And the following chips:

2x MP148S 74F245 <---- good old standard bus transceivers
2x NEC D43256AGU-10L 914288010 <---- 32kB static RAM (each)
RM Rev 1 PN-29943 9217KD006 <---- that's the interesting one IMHO !

For the last one, however it's obviously a marking by the manufacturer
of the board, likely an ASIC. And you've got 64kB of buffer memory.

Gabriel.