Re: Problem with "make menuconfig" and "make xconfig"

Mr. James W. Laferriere (babydr@nwrain.net)
Sun, 17 May 1998 14:11:34 -0700 (PDT)

I get the same thing on alpha-2.1.102 -after- I modified the
arch/alpha/Makefile line 35 from :

$(shell $(AS) --version &> ./GAS_VER)

to :

$(shell $(AS) --version >& ./GAS_VER)

I do remember a discussion of this problem but I never saw
the discussion of it's possible cure. The main reason for
moidifying the &> to >& is to get by the message.

> arch/alpha/Makefile:35: *** missing seperator. Stop , still in 102

Which I placed on the alpha-linux list a few days ago with out
response so far btw.
Hth
> On Sun, 17 May 1998, root wrote:
> Hey,
> I installed a new linux distrbituion called "Stampede" (www.stampede.org)
> It is highly optimized for the Pentium line chips,
> uses pgcc and glibc2.
> When I type "make menuconfig", It hangs at this stage:
> rm -f include/asm
> ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
> make -C scripts/lxdialog all
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog'
> /bin/sh scripts/Menuconfig arch/i386/config.in
> Using defaults found in .config
> Preparing configuration scripts: version, functions, parsing <- HANG
>
> I can CTRL-C it
> I can make config
> but make menuconfig just does not work
> --Phil Rosenthal
, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |