Re: GGI ;o) (Was: Re: Boot Logo Thoughts (LONG))

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 16 May 1998 11:55:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> > > Looks like it :-( I'm surprised we haven't seen GGI start up again.
> >
> > Why? Whats wrong with GGI?????!?!?!!!?!?! ;o)
> >
> > I just downloaded the latest GGI snapshot, and it is cool! ;o)
>
> I have no problem with GGI. My problem is with people who start long
> threads (which degenerate into flamewars) about GGI. The GGI team has
> said they're not ready yet to submit their code to Linus, yet every
> time the GGI thread starts up again people whine about "pretty please,
> let's have GGI in the kernel *NOW*, it's the best thing since sliced
> bread, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera".

Yeah, I know. I've watched the threads in the past several
times. I think I even started one a year ago (not purposefully).

> Once the GGI team submit their code, serious discussion about the pros
> and cons can begin. Before that leave them in peace to deliver the
> goods. Premature activism on "behalf" of GGI is in fact detrimental,
> as it can entrench opposition to it. Some of this opposition is due to
> some of the major players in Linux having been unimpressed by an older
> version of GGI, and some is due to the excessive proselytising of the
> GGI cause.
>
> Note: I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just pointing out my
> observations of past GGI threads.

Yes, I agree completely. I was just being humorous (perhaps in
poor taste...) that is why I put the smileys everywhere. ;o)

I just installed the latest GGI, and I know that it is certainly
not ready for the kernel. Besides code-freeze time is allready
here so...

Take care!