Re: web based kernel compile

The Thought Assassin (assassin@south.networx.net.au)
Sat, 16 May 1998 15:31:06 +0800 (WST)

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Raj Dutt wrote:
> I am thinking seriously of doing a web/eMail based forms interface to kernel
> compilation. The idea would be if you wanted to build the latest and greatest,
> you'd head over to this web site, fill out the forms (or send an appropriate
> ..config file) and in a short while, the site would either eMail you your fresh new
> kernel or tell you that it is ready and make it available for download.

I am willing to help with this project, in particular the CGI stuff.
I would definitely recommend you do it in pure html, and not use Java or
other such trickery, since your target users are likely as not going to
have too weak a machine for java stuff.
I have been playing with the idea of creating a web configurator for the
kernel for some time now, ont eh basis of it being a fun hack, but haven't
pursued it because I saw very little need for it. Your idea, and offer, of
a publically available service make this a very worthwhile and fruitful
project.
I think the questions of resource usage will have to be thought through
very carefully - how to provide a secure, efficient, powerful service.
Let me know your plans on this one,

-Greg Mildenhall