Re: Sig11s in a kernel compilation - Cyrix

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Mon, 4 May 1998 07:24:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> This is not exactly a kernel question but this list is probably
> the biggest gathering of kernel-compiling people, so maybe somebody
> will shed a light. :-)
>
> I got, at last, to moving a single-processor Cyrix box to Red Hat 5.0
> distribution with its compiler, libraries, etc. The box presents
> itself as:

> Luckily I had something a
> bit more sane around and after booting I tried to use newly installed
> gcc 2.7.3.2 to recompile my current kernel sources once again. Pretty
> soon in a compilation I started getting multiple "sig11"s and no
> amount of flags fiddling, beyond compiling totally without any
> optimization - which is not an option - could help me.

> My question - does that sound familiar to anybody? Are any known
> issues with kernel and compilers on Cyrix? Should I just install
> 2.8.1 or egcs instead of 2.7.3.2? I do not recall seeing any similar
> reports anywhere and I do not think that 2.7.2.1 is the only version
> of gcc used. :-)

I'm not sure what's behind this, but I've been plagued off and on with the
same thing on one of my boxes (6x86 P150+). I've replaced the memory and
tried all sorts of settings to no avail. For me, it occurs with any and
all versions of the C compiler and binutils. Fortunately, it's quite rare
(not anywhere near as repeatable as what you describe), and I just live
with it.

Steve