Re: Kernel 2.1.99 still doesn't boot

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Sun, 3 May 1998 21:40:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Christian Loth wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> 2.1.99 is still nogo for me. This time I used a somewhat more conservative
> config, plus I compiled the Kernel 'normally' with gcc 2.7.2.3 instead of
> egcs 1.0.2. This time the kernel doesn't panic, but the system simply
> resets during the boot up. The last massage I was able to read, before
> the screen blanked and the system reset was something with 'APIC timer'.
> Having looked at the source, I think the most likely candidate for this
> message is: calibrating APIC timer ...

could you put a udelay(1000*1000) to the end of kernel/printk.c:printk()?
This way you have a 1 second delay after each line printed.

or, if you are in a hacker mood tonight, you could try placing

for (;;);

near the suspected code and try moving this code around to find the line
that causes the reboot.

-- mingo