Re: insmod question

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Sun, 3 May 1998 16:42:40 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Krzysztof G. Baranowski wrote:

> As far as I know one day, the DOSEmu folks wrote an insmod
> which was using System.map for resolving module symbols.

You really don't want this code, since a lot of people
(read: actual users) don't keep the System.map around,
or boot a kernel that is another version.
You _do_ want to use /proc/ksyms however...

> Unfortunately I can't remember when was that and which DOSEmu
> version used this solution. The thing is that I'd like to reuse this
> code for my own purposes, but I don't know the location. Could
> somebody point me the right URL or something... Thanks in advance !

You should take a look at how insmod does these things.
The System.map file is just too unreliable.

Rik.