Re: This list is seriously damaged somewhere

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Sun, 03 May 1998 21:20:25 +1000

On Sun, 03 May 1998 10:47:43 GMT,
stevei@earthworks.com.au (Steven Ireland) wrote:
>The linux-kernel mailing list is loosing messages badly. About 50% of my
>messages start with replies to messages I never recieve.

Tell me about it :(.

>I miss regular, important emails (e.g. Kernel release messages from Linus etc).
>Even some of my own posts never make it back.

Ditto.

>Is the digest version going to be better, or just loose larger packets of email?

Digest might be better because it is packaged at vger and numbered
before release. At least with numbered mail you can tell if one has
gone walkabout. However I prefer the immediate mail rather than
waiting for the digest.

>Any suggestions ? Who should I contact ?

I sent vger-exploders a list of missing mail, on the second attempt
Andrew Tridgell (.au exploder) replied. He thought the mail was
getting lost between vger and samba but was not sure. I have suggested
(repeatedly) that vger number each mail on a list so we can quickly
detect lost mail and track this problem down. It would also help the
exploders ensure they received all mail. Please send to vger-exploders
and emphasise that mail is still getting lost.